Sunday, January 7, 2018

'Flight' from PaulOG: One Man Dirigible

This screw powered one man dirigible is a VSF delight to battle foes in the Back of Beyond, over the Red Planet or as some sort of diesel punk version of the Gyro Captain from Mad Max 2! I found this kit in the depths of the Man Cave where had lurked since purchase. The Flight bonus round gave me the impetus to give it the attention it so richly deserves.
Swoosh! Dakka-dakka-dakka!
The model is a resin and metal casting from Tobsen Miniatures in Germany, who do some fantastically crazy and wacky stuff: https://shop.tobsen77.com/en/  He also sells the pilot figure. Maxim gun and the backpack/ammo pouches are from my spares box.


If you're going to fly - fly high! 28mm fig on ground for scale only (no points)
I spent an overly long time trying to be clever by magnetising the base for easier storage, to reduce damage and so I can use the flying base for a multitude of other models.  I had mixed results but at least it is serviceable and (mostly) stable - like the machine itself really.  Probably a good height for light plastic models but I'll need some shooter tubing for metal contraptions like this one.  For this submission I also got to use my new light box in anger for the first time - thanks Santa!
The magnetic connection at the base was countersunk into the mdf and came out very neatly.
Watch out for the unexploded ordnance though!
Overall, this is a 28mm vehicle with one full crew figure to total 70 points (including the extra bonus round points).

13 comments:

  1. (mostly) stable - like the machine itself really AND IT'S OWNER :-)
    Cracking stuff mate. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s great! Love the ship, base, and stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool. Thanks for the mfg link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great entry mate! Good to see your branching out with your magnet experiments, it’s poles apart from what I expected...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a terrific piece of work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is cool Paul! Looks really great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great little piece but I wouldn't want to fly that thing! Looks like the recoil might send it backwards. Great basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this thing - so awesome. Great looking base too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful, Paul - really a great piece. I've seen this on the website many times, and I've frequently been tempted to get one. You've done a brilliant job. Really nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I love the way you based this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful contraption, Paul! Mostly stable...ha!
    That is inspired thought of reusing the flight stand, saves wear and tear on this wonderful model too!

    ReplyDelete